Advance your career with a MS in Software Engineering, specialization in Data Science!
Our Extended Studies’ newest specialization prepares students and professionals to investigate and summarize real-world data of all sizes, ask the right questions, find informative answers, and create visualizations that effectively communicate their results. Through a combination of theory and practical data analyses, students learn the foundations of extracting knowledge from data, verifying the utility of the information, and scaling their analysis to Big Data. The program emphasizes teamwork throughout the curriculum, as an essential part of preparing students for working in industry.
This specialization prepares students to practice the entire analytics process, from translating real-world objects into data to presenting information gleaned from the analysis. If you have a background in software engineering or a closely related field, complete our prequalification form to get started today!
After completing a prequalification form, check out SJSU's graduate admission requirements.
Outstanding Faculty: Industry leaders and academic experts offer a wide range of practical knowledge and experience in engineering and software development.
Location, Location, Location: All courses are offered in Silicon Valley near high-tech employers and easily accessible from anywhere in the San Francisco Bay Area. You can complete your degree while holding an internship and/or continuing your career!
Convenience: designed for working professionals who want to earn advanced degrees through accelerated programs.
Affordable Education: San Jose State University offers an outstanding educational value, and many local businesses will pay partial or full tuition for employees who enroll in graduate degree programs.
The Master of Science in Software Engineering, specialization in Data Science program is designed for working professionals and motivated students.
Courses are offered at locations in Silicon Valley.
Each course meets one night a week. Dependent on cohort path, courses may also meet on a few Saturdays.
There are 10 courses, for a total of 30 graduate-level units that fulfill the requirements for earning a Master of Science in Software Engineering degree. In addition, a student must also satisfy Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement. (http://www.sjsu.edu/gup/gradstudies/policy/gwar/index.html).
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
For students graduating with MS Software Engineering degrees:
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of advanced knowledge of the practice of software engineering, from vision to analysis, design, validation and deployment.
- Be able to tackle complex engineering problems and tasks, using contemporary engineering principles, methodologies and tools.
- Be able to demonstrate leadership and the ability to participate in teamwork in an environment with different disciplines of engineering, science and business.
- Be aware of ethical, economic and environmental implications of their work, as appropriate.
- Be able to advance successfully in the engineering profession, and sustain a process of lifelong learning in engineering or other professional areas.
- Be able to communicate effectively, in both oral and written forms.