This customized Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering program is targeted to meet the business needs of Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company. The objective of the program is to equip students with the latest engineering methodologies and tools related to mechanical design. The program scope includes applied stress analysis, computer-aided mechanical engineering design, vibration of mechanical systems, finite element methods and automatic control engineering. For the convenience of working students, the program offers one course at a time. Courses are taught by both SJSU faculty and senior Lockheed Martin staff to mesh closely with Lockheed Martin business needs. There will be a 6 credits of project work based on case studies specific to Lockheed Martin.
MSME Program Education Objectives
- A strong foundation beyond the undergraduate level in their chosen focus area as well as in mathematics, basic science and engineering fundamentals, to successfully compete for technical engineering positions in the local, national and global engineering market, advance in their current position or pursue doctoral studies.
- Professional and lifelong learning skills to be able to apply and extend theory to solve practical contemporary engineering problems.
- The expertise necessary to design mechanical engineering systems with possible specialization in areas such as: Energy Systems, Electronics Cooling, Electronics Packaging & Reliability, Finite Element Analysis & CAD, Mechatronics & MEMS, Product Design, Robotics, Automation & Manufacturing.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to read, write and comprehend technical documents.
- Ability to think and work independently to perform design and in-depth analysis in solving open-ended mechanical engineering problems.